Friday, October 10, 2008

Rolling with the punches.....

So yesterday Dan was FINALLY promoted to a Senior Airman (E-4) rank. He was supposed to get it about 6 months ago but due to some mixups when his supervisors changed a lot of his paperwork got misplaced and therefore he didn't get the raise. We had to wait 6 long months in order for him to re-apply and the day finally came!

I went to his promotion ceremony and it was really neat. I have never been to one before so I was completely unaware of some of the Air Force traditions. His Commander present him his award and rank advancement. I really like his Commander, he is a very nice man who is very family oriented and is easy to talk to. He said some really nice things about Dan and about both of us in general that we really appreciated. It was nice that his Commander recognized how unique of and individual Dan is. He said that Dan was one of the best assets to his squadron and that they are lucky to have him. He said that no matter what path Dan chooses in life he will always succeed because that is just who he is. He said that Dan is a great man and is always showing improvement each and every day in his job. He said that he was coming quite near to being a perfect human being...but not quite, and that he shouldn't get a big head over it! It was a funny moment...He also congratulated us on being one of the few and far in between couples to have a happy marriage. Anyways, he was a really neat guy. After the award was presented we were able to talk to him a little bit more and learned that he met his wife on a blind date just like us! He said that their meeting was definitely due to the hands of God. It was neat to hear his boss talk so much about God and religion and the importance of good and successful marriages.


After his Commander presented him the award they have a little tradition of how they put on their new stripes. Generally, the Commander will stand on one side and another Officer on the other. Well they had me stand on one side of him instead and I had no idea what was coming...We each had to put stripes on his sleeves and then punch him as hard as we could to make sure they would stay on. I was told to punch him as hard as I could! As everyone came around to congratulate him he was punched about another 20 times. After we left the ceremony he told me that his arms were too sore to do push-ups....I didn't realize anyone really punched him that hard but I guess a few did! Anyways, so now I have an excuse to punch him whenever I want when he is in uniform. I can just blame it on making sure that his stripes are sticking....


Dan & I with his Commander


Dan's new stripes and sore arm.


Dolores, this picture is just for you. I made him push his hat down lower. He claims that they are supposed to wear their hats where they are just sitting on top of their head but I swear I don't see anyone but him wearing it that way! I think that is just his excuse for not wanting to push it down on his head and make him sweat more:)

6 comments:

Amber Shellabarger said...

Good job Dan! It sounds like the military has their own verson of the birthday spanking line.

Anonymous said...

CONGRATS DAN! That's really cool! Senior Airman, oh la la. I have been able to "pin" Seth twice so far since we've been married. The only person who gets to punch him was the LTC, and at the end of the ceremony they usually chug a beer as a toast, and Seth chugged a large bottle of water, and he was also douced in the water once he was almost done, usually done with alcohol.

People always have such good things to say about Seth too, about his work ethic. I think it's because our men are religious and dedicated. Anyway, congrats! Thanks for sharing, and cute pictures too!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

PS, its nice to see the Air Force finally integrate their new ACU's. Geez, about time. LOL. Sorry I mispelled the earlier post and had to delete, ha ha.

Anonymous said...

Woohoo!!! Go Dan! Congrats you guys!

Deaton Adventures said...

Congrats Dan (and you too Sierra)Keep up the good work!