Monday, December 8, 2008

Thanksgiving....Cajun Style

This year we were able to experience our very first Cajun Thanksgiving. We went to Dan's parent's house and celebrated with all the family, there was almost 30 of us! Overall, we enjoyed it...it was definitely different than we are used to but was nice to experience something new. Our favorite part was the cajun fried turkey, it was SOOOOOO yummy! I never want to eat another baked turkey in my life after tasting that! It was really neat to watch how the turkey is fried as well.

The turkey is fried in 5 gallons of peanut oil. Usually you do it outside but it was too windy so they moved it into the garage. The ladder is used as part of a pulley system to pull the turkey out. I was surprised at how quick it cooked! It only took about 45 minutes compared to the several hours they take to bake.


Close-up of the Turkey

Dan was so closely monitoring the turkey you would think he actually had something to do with it! The only thing he did was eat it!

The sidedishes for Thanksgiving were definitely different than the traditional thanksgiving we are used to. The biggest difference for me was that they do rice and gravy instead of mash potatoes and gravy. I love mash potatoes and didn't quite think I could handle a Thanksgiving without them so I planned on bringing some of my own and making an extra side for the meal. When we got there I learned that Donna's sister-in-law was making a potato dish of some sort so I decided not to make my potatoes, figuring I could live now that there would at least be some sort of potato dish.
When Donna's sister-in-law arrived she came in carrying a huge dish of Mac & Cheese! Who the heck has mac and cheese for Thanksgiving??? I mean seriously...last I checked I have never heard of that before. Anyway, so in the end...I didn't get my potatoes at all....oh well...there is always next year. The turkey still made the day worth it...and the family of course:) I also fell in love with Louisiana Pralines..Donna made the best ones I have ever tasted! I definitely got a sugar high that I didn't need that day but it was well worth it.
P.S. The making of this post was not intented to offend any Thanksgiving Mac & Cheese lovers...

7 comments:

Megan said...

Love the post script. It honestly made me laugh out loud.

Deaton Adventures said...

Great Thanksgiving story, it is always fun to try something new. I have never heard of Mac & Cheese on Thanksgiving, did you eat some of it or stick with the rice?

Crandalls said...

actually...I didn't have either. I mostly ate turkey. I am not much of a mac & cheese or rice girl....

Heather said...

Hey Sierra! This is Heather (Cutler). I ran across your blog from Katies. You look so great! Hope you guys are doing well! It's fun to see an update.

Kati said...

I have only left you like 5 comments!! this site needs to update you when you get a comment cause otherwise i have to look at all my blogs!! but I now feel flattered that you are stalking me. :-)

Jessica said...

Sierra! When I first read your comment I was like "Who is this!" So I am glad for the second comment to clear that up for me! How have you been!? You look like you are so busy! You look beautiful too by the way! I am so glad you commented! Comment anytime!

The Marshall's said...

Sierra! I'm glad you found our blog! I LOVE keeping up with what everyone is up to!~ I hope you don't mind that I added you to our blog!