Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Grandma Gayle's Funeral

On July 16th, 2010 my Grandma Gayle passed away. I am so grateful for the opportunity we have had to learn so much from her during her life as well as since her passing. My grandma suffered from several health issues as well as a mental illness that began in her mid twenties. My mom remembers a few moments growing up when she was unstable but overall she was able to lead a normal life and raise my mom and my aunt quite well until shortly after my mom got married. Since then my mom has been her primary caregiver and guardian for close to 30 years now.


I remember as a kid when she was a little more stable being able to go to visit her in Layton at her little white house. She was able to cook and clean for herself. She would take the bus each day to a clinic where they gave her meds to her but she was able to lead a fairly independant life. My mom would check in on her to make sure she had food, paid her bills, etc. I have some fun memories of her when she appeared as a normal Grandma to me at such a young age.


As I got older I started to notice some of the struggles she faced and always had a desire to help my mom take care of her as much as I could. From the time I was probably like 7 or 8 I would go with my mom every time she went to help my Grandma Gayle. I quickly took on the role of helping with grocery shopping and anything else I could help assist my mom in. When I was old enough to drive I would often stop in and see her by myself. Over the years she progressively had to move into homes that gave her more support and structure. The past 7 years she has lived in a nursing home.


In high school when I served as President of the Key Club I was able to arrange monthly service activities at the nursing home where she lived. I have great memories of her excitement to see me walk in the door with all my friends each month. She was always so proud of me as her granddaughter.


The past few years as I have lived away I have missed being able to help her as much and I am sad to see her go just because I wish I still had time to get to know her more right now. But I think I can speak for my whole family that we are THRILLED for her to finally be in Heaven where she can be free of pain.


I have always known my grandma as someone who appears like an innocent child. Her favorite thing was for you to bring her a diet coke, Cheetos, and a teddy bear. She struggled a lot because she was aware of what she was missing out on in life but not healthy enough to be able to live it. My grandma was the happiest person I have ever known. She had such an unconditional love for life and for everyone. She faced so many trials in life but stayed so positive despite all of it.


Since her funeral I have been able to learn a lot more about her life before her illness and I have to say I am impressed at the amazing woman she is more and more each day. I am grateful for her wonderful example. I want to be more like her and I look forward to one day teaching my future kids some of the amazing qualities she possessed.


I am happy that we were able to say our goodbyes until we meet again. I am thrilled that she passed away without too many days of suffering and thrilled that she can finally live a life free of her earthly struggles. We all love her so much and miss her dearly but are grateful for our prayers being answered.


There are lots of pictures below. My mom, aunt, and I spent many hours preparing memories of her from before her illness set it and I made sure to get lots of pictures to help me remember the things I learned about her.




My grandma was an amazing artist. We have all been given a piece of her amazing talent, especially my mom and aunt. She drew this picture as part of a contest for a play and won when my mom was a child.


Pictures of her early childhood.


Another picture of hers that hangs in my parents house.




She loved Cardinals from growing up in St. Louis Missouri




We all loved having this Willow Tree there. We could all picture her raising her arms just like this in Heaven when she realized she was free!:)


Her High School years.


This is her Senior Portrait.




The picture on the left is of my grandparent's wedding and the one on the right is her holding my mom as a baby.


This picture is a family favorite. It is the only picture we have of her as an adult before her illness set in. We all believed that this is the person she wants to be remembered as. Both my mom, my aunt, and I have this one framed in our homes now.






The last Teddy Bear we gave her.


My Grandma always loved to look pretty and we felt these flowers fit her pretty personality perfectly!


We found this poem in her room when we went through it after her passing. She loved to write poems as well as paint. It was neat to find that she recently had experienced such a clear moment as to be able to concentrate well enough to write a poem. It made us all quite happy! We also found a few recent drawings were her true spirit was also able to shine through over her illness.


The Pallbearers






My Aunt Renae's family, my mom, me, and my Great Aunt Cathy (my grandma's sister)


I haven't seen Cathy since I was little. I loved getting to know her more! She reminds me so much of my mom and Grandma. I hope I get to spend time with her more often.


Dan's sweet mom, Dolores, came to support my mom as well as so many friends from her ward.


Many of my second cousins.




Dan and our nephews Noah and Conner.



My grandma's daughters and granddaughters.


Renae's Family



Our family (minus Rueben who is serving a mission in Philadelphia)


The cute Teddy Bear cake Dan and I ordered for her.


The amazing flower arrangement my Great Aunt Ethel made for my mom to take home.

2 comments:

Megan said...

I am so sorry for your loss but I understand being thrilled that she is not longer in pain. The picture of the last teddy bear you gave her made me cry. I love the way your family honored her life, even in death.

Crandalls said...

Thanks Megan. I really appreciate it!