Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Best day of my life!

So the second weekend that Dan was gone for work I was a busy bee making a baby cake. A lady from work asked me to make a cake for a baby shower she was throwing that weekend. The big project started on Friday night. I went to walmart to gather all the supplies and came home ready to bake. As I started pulling out all the ingredients for the batter I realized I had forgot a few things. I HATE when I do that. So back to the store I went.....

I got everything I thought I needed and started to check out at the self-service counter when I realized I had forgotten my wallet. I guess it had fallen out of my purse at home and I didn't realize it. So I had to go back home...get my wallet...drive back to the store...get my groceries again..and FINALLY check out and head back home. By this time I was running quite behind on schedule and knew it would be a late night.

I had to make 3 different batches because my design needed 6 layers of cake (and I only own 1 pan in each of the sizes I was using...eventually I want to own more but since i am just beginning I have to deal with what I have). As I finished the first batch and put it in the oven my mom called to say hi. I started working on the second batch and while I was talking to her and accidentally bumped the carton of eggs off the counter. All the eggs fell and broke and slid under the fridge...what a mess! My mom made the comment that maybe she should call me anymore because every time she does something bad happens! First my tire and then the eggs...yeah no...I just do stupid things often enough that my mom just keeps on catching me in action! Her calling me had nothing to do with it!

So back to the store I went for the bagillionth time...but luckily the last. The rest of the night went fairly smooth and so did the decorating the next day. It was just quite a task, but well worth it. I REALLY enjoyed making the cake and loved that she let me create the design. It was nice to have more say in what I wanted to do on the cake than what I have had in the past. I was really proud of the cake when I finished. The only thing I was a little disappointed it was that she didn't want me to cover the cake in fondant. I usually do a thick layer of icing and then cover it in fondant plus the decorations in fondant. The decorations hold much better than way, and there is still plenty of icing underneath that if you don't like fondant you don't have to eat it.

Anyways, I had to compromise and stick the fondant decor right on the butter cream icing. It turned out better than I thought it would but the pressure of the small decorations against the icing was causing the icing to mis-shape a little. Oh well...I did it how they wanted!


The best part of the whole gig was when I delivered the cake. I remember thinking as I was driving to our meeting spot that I can't imagine how Duff on "Ace of Cakes" handles all the deliveries! They are so nerve racking and his cakes are way bigger than mine was! I was holding the cake with one hand and driving with the other and was absolutely terrified every time I hit a bump. In the end I got there safe and sound...but boy I was stressed!

When I showed the two ladies the cake (the were family members that Kim sent to meet me) they both couldn't believe I had made it! They said the cake was good enough I should be hired on at Ace of Cakes or start competing in the Food Network Cake Challenges. Oh my gosh...that totally made my day. For anyone who doesn't know I am absolutely addicted to both of those shows and I totally admit it. I LOVE watching them and part of me probably does dream about being on those shows. So when she said that I couldn't help but think "This is the best day of my life!!! (Dan didn't quite agree with me...he thought the best day of my life should have been our wedding day...but whatever...lol. Actually he is probably right but this day sure was a good day too) ". Now I don't think my cake was quite that good...but it sure felt good to be told that!

The only regrets I now have is what I charged her....50 messily bucks, which I knew really wasn't much for how much work I put into it....but dang...if I knew my cake was as good as Ace of Cakes or Food Network Challenge I should have sold it for at least a $1000! (For those of you that don't know Ace of Cakes min. price is like $3000 for a cake and if you win the Cake Challenge you get $10,000. So I thought $1000 sounded reasonable to me!!!).

2 comments:

Kristen Crandall said...

Adorable Cake!!! Looking at it makes me wonder when you and dan will get a chance to see out little bundle of joy? I don't think we will be going to utah until september. We will figure it out. Love you guys.

Anonymous said...

OMG, what a rotten but cool day. You make me want to be a better person, you are always doing good things and educating yourself! I want to learn to decorate cakes too, for real! I'd love that. But the first on my list is to learn, and TO REALLY LEARN how to use my sewing machine, argh. Anyway, thanks for sharing and the cake DID look fantastic! Yay you!