Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Week 1


Last night was my first night of cake decorating class, well since high school. I took a class in high school but remember very little from the class. My friend, Traci, took the class with me. It was really fun to have someone to laugh with you through all the problems we had! The night started off with both of our cakes being stuck in the cake pans. We had left our cakes in the pans so they would be easier to carry...boy what a mistake that was!!! We were both laughing so hard because they wouldn't come out and we were the only ones with that problem. Everyone else was smart enough to take theirs out 15 minutes after they were done baking. Needless to say, we finally got them out and even in one piece!

The night before Traci and I had spent countless hours shopping for our cake decorating supplies. The teacher had given us a list of supplies to buy and many of them we couldn't find. So after going to three stores we finally gave up and just got what we could. We both got home about 9 pm and still had to bake our cakes and make over 3 lbs of icing. Luckily I had a KitchenAid stand mixer so my icing wasn't too bad to mix but Traci said she had icing all over her walls and ceilings by the time she was done! The recipe was very vague on what consistency it was supposed to be so when we got to class we quickly learned her icing was too thin and mine was WAY too thick. So all night she had problems with her icing drooping and her roses turning into blobs whereas mine was so think I couldn't even get it to spread on the cake! My roses stayed together better but they cracked because of the thick icing so they look a little more like carnations:)

By the end of the night we both were on a sugar high from licking our fingers so much and had frosting all over us. It was a fun night though! Looking back, we should have just mixed our icings together and they probably wouldn't have been the perfect consistency! Traci mentioned to me this morning though that if we had done that our cakes would have looked too good week 1 that it would be hard to beat by week 4! So now our week 4 cakes SHOULD look really good in comparison!

We also found out when we got to class that the college hadn't given us a complete list of supplies so there was several things none of us bought that the teacher expected us to have...so along with better icing this next week we will also be much better equipped with the supplies we need!

Traci's cake is the purple one and mine is the orange one (it was supposed to be coral but definitely came out more orange than anything!).


3 comments:

Deaton Adventures said...

Wow what a fun time! I can't wait to see the cakes every week. Who is going to eat all the cakes? When I learned how to decorate (25 years ago) we had to practice on a piece of tile, not on cakes. We did not get to do a cake until the last class when we put it all together. I wish I could remember how to do all that.

Crandalls said...

The class I took in high school was the same way as yours. We only worked on an actual cake the final class. In this class the teacher is helping us learn quick and easy steps since all of us work and don't have a lot of free time on our hands. She wants us to actually decorate a cake each week so we get used to it.

Funny that you asked about who will eat the cake...with me being diabetic and Dan hating cake I was a little worried... I brought the first cake to ym/yw last night and luckily they finished it! My classes are once a week for 4 weeks so I will have 3 more cakes coming as well...my work is full of big cake eaters as well so I plan on bringing next week's cake up here!

Anonymous said...

Well Sierra, you seem to always have something fun and exciting going in your life! Your abundant vocabulary and vibrant writing skills make your readers laugh and want to know more about your experiences; you should consider taking a class on creative writing!

By the way, the cakes look great!

Dolores