Friday, September 12, 2008

9/11

I have read several blogs about 9/11 and everyone's memory of it. My friend, Deb, encouraged everyone to write on their blog their memory of the event so here I go. To be honest, I understand much more about it now that I did that day. I was young and naive enough that I don't think I really understood how big of a deal it really was, so I wasn't as nervous as most people remember being. I was 14 years old, sitting in my 9th grade studio art class when our teacher told us the news. She turned on a TV for us to watch during class and had us write journal entries instead of painting that day. She said that it was a day not to forget and encouraged us to write down everything to have to look back on in the future. I will have to see if I can find that paper, I am curious to know what I said. I do know that I didn't even know what a terrorist was, I thought the news was saying tourist, BIG DIFFERENCE.

At 14 I never really thought September 11 would effect my life as much as it has. Yes, I was worried and scared, but never thought it would directly impact me. I was scared of war, I was scared some of my friends would possibly be drafted n the future, but had no idea what that day really meant. I was mostly confused. I remember feeling bad for my parents because it was their anniversary, but didn't realize that the memory of that day would effect every anniversary of theirs in the years to come.



Dan at Ali Al Salem AFB, Kuwait Sept 2007


Now looking back as a military wife that day is all too real. I never would have guessed at 14 years old that I would marry someone in the Air Force who would actually deploy because of the events that took place on that day. Heck, I would have never even guessed that the day before I met Dan. I am proud to live in a country who fights for freedom. A country that not only fights for our freedom but for other country's freedom as well. I am proud to have a husband serving in the military and proud of many other family members and friends who have served or are still currently serving in the military. Military life is hard to explain, I know sometimes I complain more than I should about certain things that come with military life, but all and all it has been a great experience. I am happy to say that I am a military wife. I am happy in Louisiana and grateful for the experience and trials it has brought. I now have 2 homes and will miss this one dearly when the time comes for us to move on.



Dan and a few of his Middle Eastern Friends

Dan and I have had many wonderful experiences because of the Air Force. We have been given opportunities to serve others that we never would have been able to do any other way. I have grown to love the people from the Mid East through my husband even though I have never even met them. As Dan and I face decisions in the future about whether we will remain active duty in the Air Force for a career or not, I do know that if we get out, I will miss it. I will miss the patriotism that comes with the life and all the people we get to meet. But no matter what decision we make I will always be grateful for the experiences we have had. We still are not sure what path we will choose but as long as it is where God wants us to be, that is where we will go...even if it's a hard decision to face.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey thanks for posting, I enjoyed reading about it. I know what you mean about complaining more than you should, ha ha, been there and done that. Maybe one time we'll have more time to sit together and complain together. Making the military a career is a big decision and for me and Seth is everchanging. It's certainly hard on a marriage and family life. Thanks to deployments, Seth and I have really only been TOGETHER for maybe 2 years of our 4 and 1/2 year marriage, freaky.

Amber Shellabarger said...

14! You were only 14 when it happened? Wow I did not realize I was so much older than you. I am gratful for Dan and all the others (and their families) who give up their time so hopefully we will never have to go through that again.

The Downs said...

I love reading your blog! It's nice to know what you're up to so far away! Oh and I need your address so I can send you a wedding announcement. You can email it to me at breennie@gmail.com. Thanks!