Saturday, September 20, 2008

Rain, Rain (and Cajun food) go away...come again another day....

This past weekend we were supposed to go to the Temple in Dallas but cancelled our trip at the last minute. Hurricane Ike was on it's way to hitting Dallas and then was supposed to come over to us. Funny how everyone was SO worried about Hurricane Gustav and all it did was lightly rain for a few days. This time the hurricane weather was a little more extreme and no one was even really panicking about it at all...still we decided we shouldn't take our chances so we stayed home.

Friday night we decided to go out to dinner amongst other errands we had to run. We were driving around trying to decide where to eat when we saw a cajun restaurant we have been meaning to try for a long time. We hastily decided to go there. When we got in and I started looking at the menu (and the prices) I quickly realized there was NOTHING that appealed to me on the menu. I should have known that before, I don't really like much cajun cuisine...actually, I like cajun flavors just not cajun seafood, which is about what the entire menu consisted of. The waitress brought our waters and Dan asked me what I was thinking of getting. I said (very hesitantly I might ad)..."um, well....I guess I could get the one chicken thing on the menu......". Dan instantly knew I wasn't thrilled with the restaurant and he didn't really care whether we ate there or not either. He asked me if I wanted to leave...and yes I did but felt WAY to stupid doing it. Well in the end, I left the restaurant a few minutes before him and he shortly followed after me. He told the hostess up front that we had something come up and had to leave and to apologize to our waiter. They then asked if he wanted to speak to the waiter..he quickly said no and that we didn't have time but would come back soon. I was literally hiding around the corner outside because I felt so dumb! I felt bad too for making Dan be the one to tell them we were leaving...but something really did come up! We realized we didn't want to spend that much $$$ for food I wasn't at all interested in and he was just okay with. Has anyone ever had that happen to them before??? It was DEFINITELY an awkward moment but we didn't know what else to do......hopefully we NEVER have to do that again. We ended up going to a mexican restaurant and I got fajitas...much better than yucky seafood:)

The rest of the weekend went quite smoothly, well for the most part. Saturday we went to some church classes they had at the stake center, it was called EFY (Especially for Adults, a playoff of Especially for Youth). We were able to go to a class about the church in Kuwait. It was by a couple whose whole family lived there for 3 years after 9/11. They were actually there when Spencer deployed there and the dad was the one that arranged for Elder Ballard to come and visit the base. They moved back to the states shortly before Dan deployed there. It was neat to here their experiences there and compare them to that of our family's. We also went to a marriage class that was very interesting. Last year when I went to EFA it was just two days after Dan deployed. I also took a marriage class then and I have to admit...I definitely enjoyed the class much more this year with him by my side.

After EFA we started to drive home as the weather worsened and the power started to go out all around us. By the time we got home the wind was really really strong and it was pouring. We were able to find one fast food restaurant that still had power and quickly grabbed something to eat because we were worried we wouldn't have power to cook with the rest of the night. Come to find out...we were like the ONLY ones around that had power. The light and gas station right by our apartment was out as well as the neighborhoods around us but not us! We definitely had no complaints about that! We enjoyed the luxuries of watching movies and just staying in all night while the storm made it's debue outside.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

we actually got rain from hurricane Ike as well, obviously not as much as you did, but it's the first time since living here that we had an actual "flash" flood.