Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Painting our Hearts Out

This past week Dan and I went to Arts on Fire, a "paint your own pottery" place. About a month and a half ago I saw an episode on one of my favorite shows "Jon & Kate plus 8 (a show about a family with twins and sextuplets) about them taking their kids to a place like Arts on Fire. After watching that episode I had a HUGE craving to go to one as well. So my friend Mallory and I went about a month ago. I painted a plate as a wedding gift for Andrew & Cami. Ever since then I have been wanting to go back with Dan. I was a little worried he wouldn't really enjoy it but we want to start doing more stuff with each other that entails teaching one another about a hobby of ours. So painting we did go!


We each picked out plates to decorate to use each Sunday for dinner. Dan painted a "Cajun Basketball" theme on his, which consisted of an alligator sitting on top of a basketball (basically his two favorite things....lol) with a landscape like background and a sun in the corner with a goofy grin and sunglasses on. I painted a "Frog Kingdom" (who would have ever guessed....:)on mine, which consisted of a frog prince and princess with a castle in the background. It had "And they lived "HOP"ily ever after" written around the border. Both plates definitely fit our personalities!

I was surprised at how much fun Dan had painting his plate and how good he was at it. I helped him out a little but I think he discovered a little bit of artistic talent he never knew he had....don't think he will probably pursue that talent much other than when I drag him into doing craft projects with me...which knowing myself, that might happen quite often. Overall, it was a nice day. We have been so busy lately that it was nice to take time out of our Saturday to just relax and enjoy one an other's company without having to worry about anything other than painting our plates!

5 comments:

Amber Shellabarger said...

I WATCHED THAT ONE TOO! I thought it looked fun but I am not sure we have something like that around here. Your plates are darling and what a great idea!!

Kristen Crandall said...

How fun. Those "manly" Crandall men have more of a femanine side than they ever let on! I'm glad you liked you pics. Your slide show is fun to watch.

Crandalls said...

lol....thanks Amber and Kristen you are so right about the whole "manly" thing:)

Whit said...

That looks like sooo much fun. I want to find a place like that. Do they have them in Utah? So how are you doing? I haven't seen you forever. We have to start keeping in touch. And I mean it because its been way too long and I miss you.
-Whit

Kati said...

sierra you look so gorgeous in this picture!