Tuesday, August 19, 2008

I've Been Tagged!!!! Thanks to Amber:)

Okay, so I was tagged by Amber to post 6 random facts about myself. I decided to use this tag as a way of filling everyone in on our current life. I have been thinking about doing that for quite sometime since I have several friends who now read my blog that I haven't talked to since before I even met Dan.

1. Dan & I met on a blind date January 2, 2006. Both of us were NOT excited about going on a blind date...but are glad we did! We definitely don't give testimonials on the pros of blind dating but if it works for you, great! It worked randomly for us (Dan's first blind date and my second). I will say it makes the difference who sets you up. Dan was asked about the date by his brother's best friend and my best friend asked me about it.

2. We were engaged just shy of 6 weeks of dating (I know crazy....) on Valentines. Dan went off to basic training for the Air Force at the end of April and returned just a mere few days before the wedding.

3. We were sealed in the Bountiful Temple, August 10, 2006 and just celebrated our 2 year anniversary a few weeks ago. We took a short weekend honeymoon to Vegas and moved a week later to our first Air Force station, Barksdale AFB, Louisiana.

4. We have been living in Louisiana now for two years and LOVE it! We do miss family at times but we definitely have a great life here and have made lots of forever friends. When we were waiting to find out where we would be stationed (much like waiting for a mission call) my mom and I kept on praying we would be near family (or near enough to have someone to run to in case of emergency). Our prayers were definitely answered, but not in the slightest way we expected. We thought we might end up near Utah or in Arizona by Dan's brother, but here we are in Louisiana only 3 HOURS AWAY from Dan's Dan and Stepmom (they moved here about 6 months after we did). Plus we also have the Deatons (my old neighbors from Utah) that we consider next to kin as well.

5. Dan works on base as a cook and goes to school part-time at night. He teasingly said he was given the job because he was a newlywed and the Air Force wanted him to learn how to cook for his wife. I think that is actually slightly true. Although he has had his challenges of downsizing a recipe for hundreds of people just for the two of us, he is a big help in the kitchen when I have down days. Oh yeah, that's another random tidbit from the past two years, I was diagnosed as a Diabetic about a year ago, therefore the down days. Dan enjoys his job but eventually would like to work at the gym helping plan races and other events on base. Is the Air Force a career for him? Who knows??? That is a big question lingering in our minds but we enjoy it for now and want to make the best of it! Dan has deployed once so far, last year he was in Kuwait from September until the end of January this year. It was hard having him gone (I spent a majority of the time in Utah with family) but we both grew a lot from the experience.

6. As for me, I work in Downtown Shreveport at a law firm. There are 12 attorneys here so there is plenty of work to keep me busy! I work as their billing clerk and occasionally fill in with help on the accounting side as well. It is a good job for now, I have made some great friends and enjoy what I do (well for the most part....). I have definitely learned a lot here and they have been extremely good to me. Heck, they let me take off 3 whole months while Dan was deployed! Not sure if I will stay working at law firms in general forever, possibly thinking about becoming a dietitian or something along those lines, but for now the law firm is the place I am supposed to be! As far as schooling goes, I finished up my associates degree this past year and put school on hold while Dan was deployed. I have signed up for a few continuing education classes at the local college this fall and will hopefully be starting shortly again on another degree of some sort.

Bonus Random Fact #7. Dan & I are both currently serving with the youth at church and we both love it! I am sure I have mentioned that before in some of the posts but wanted to mention it again because it is such a big part of our daily lives. Our callings have definitely been the number one thing that has helped us make friends and start a support group in Louisiana, a home a way from home, I guess you could call it.

Okay, now it's someone else's turn. I tag Lora, Mary, & Desirae!!!!! Tell me 6 things about yourself!

No comments: