Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Admitting I need help....

I have been back to my job at Weber State for almost 4 weeks now. I have a part-time job I do at night as well and boy am I feeling spread thin. I keep on telling myself that it will get easier. I feel like I don't have enough hours left in the in the day after I am done at WSU to accomplish all the tasks I need to at my part-time job, as a mommy, and as a wife. This past week was the hardest. I was a walking zombie. I felt like everything took me twice as long as it should because I just didn't have the energy to do it. I ended up spending almost the full day Saturday in bed because I was too tired to do anything else.

I have to admit, I have always had horrible sleeping habits. I don't remember the last time I slept through the night. I have the most perfect little girl in the world that has slept through the night since 6 weeks old, but yet her mommy does not. Pregnancy and having a newborn only made my sleeping patterns worse...but now that I have no excuse to not sleep well. I am beginning to get really frustrated. I know my stressful days are not helping the situation either. I am one that will worry myself awake. I have done it since I was little and it drives me nuts. I will lay awake for hours and hours thinking and worrying about anything and everything it seems, even things that I didn't know I was worried about in the first place. I often struggle falling asleep as well and I never feel rested in the morning.

I guess my point to all this is that I know that I don't have much control over my current daytime situation nor can I control the future, no matter how much I would like to. BUT, I can start to have some control over my nights. I know if I could just teach myself how to sleep through the night it would make me such a happier person, better wife, and better mommy. I would be much more apt to handle any situation that comes my way. I know it is possible to teach myself this as well. I mean heck, you have to help teach a newborn how to sleep through the night, right? So there has to be solutions to helping adults do it too. So....here goes nothing. What advice do you have for me? What have you found in your life that has helped you improve your sleep habits? I desperately need to make a change.



5 comments:

Megan said...

I'm sure you know that we've started using doTERRA essential oils at our house (how could you not? I talk about them all the time!) I have struggled with getting adequate sleep for almost as long as I can remember. I have found that using Lavender essential oil or Balance help me sleep better. There have been quite a few people I know who have had wonderful success with the oils.

Of course, you need to do everything else you can to facilitate good sleep such as going to bed at the same time nightly (I'm working on this one...still) and avoiding stimulating activities before bed.

I also love to meditate. Meditation helps me fall asleep on nights when my brain just want to keep going!

For me, it's definitely meditation and the oils that have made a difference most recently.

Sorry about the long letter. I hope you find find something that works for you soon. Let me know if you'd like more info on the oils.

Hugs!

Berry Family said...

This is just some stuff I do sometimes.

I try not eat a lot of sugar an hour before bed.
Exercise for about 30 mins and then take a hot shower.
Listen to instrumental music as I write in my journal or lay in bed talking with Mike about the day and what the next day holds.

Kati said...

Medicate

Sparks said...

Yoga before bed, you can even do these with your little one. I did infant yoga with both my girls, they provide the best weight training as you stretch!

Google and you'll find tons of positions to try!

Kaitlin said...

Mention it to your doc- that's what they're there for. Good luck, though...I know how you feel!