Friday, February 24, 2012

Daphne's Nursey

Here goes my last post before Daphne's birth...or at least I am refusing to blog again until she comes! Maybe if I go on strike she will decide to make her grand entrance by her due date?!?!? We shall see. I still have a few finishing touches to do to the room, but I figure those will come with time. I finally finished the last decorating item I had really wanted done in the room prior to her arrival today.

This first picture is a view of the room from the front door. I went with really light aqua blue walls with pink, green, and yellow accents. I have fallen in love with owls and birds as well as wanted a vintage look to it. I went a little crazy making things and thought I would never finish it, but overall I really enjoyed all the crafting I got to do for her room. My mom was such a big help as well!

This is the rocking chair my mom used for me as a baby. The quilt I made as well as an owl pillow from Julia are currently stationed there until she is old enough to use them on her bed.

Here is a full view of the quilt I made. I feel in LOVE with these vintage fabrics from Ben Franklin and couldn't pass them up. The fabrics were my initial inspiration for everything in the room.
My mom painted a mural on the wall (pictured closer up a few pictures down) as well as few random birds throughout the room. This little guy is perched above the door frame.
Dan's dad gave us this dresser for Daphne to use. I absolutely LOVE it. I had been looking for a used dresser everywhere that had the right look to it, was in good shape, and affordable. I was having the hardest time finding anything when Dan's Dad offered this one that had just been sitting unused in his guest room. This dresser was originally Dan's great grandparent's dresser, was passed down to his grandparents, then to his Dad, and now to us. Daphne will be officially the 5th generation to use it. The dresser is in amazing shape still. We figure it is probably from about the 1920's or so.

My mom did this watercolor picture about 10 years ago just for fun...we got it framed and included it in her room. I always wanted my mom to do a picture for her room and it was nice she already had one that worked!


Another birdie perched on top of the curtain rod. I didn't really get a good close up of the curtains, but I made them as well.

I found this changing table at a garage sale for $10 or so. I painted it, antiqued it, and made a cover for the changing pad.
Dan's mom gave us this cross-stitch that she made for Dan when he was born. I love that her room has so many items that fit the vintage style I was looking for as well as have some special meaning behind them.

The mural and crib

Close-up of the mural
Close-up of the bedding. I enjoyed making the sheets, skirt, and bumper...probably won't happen ever again since it was so much work, but I am still glad I did it!

I also made this cute owl stuffed animal/pillow. I actually found the pattern on etsy prior to starting on the nursery and fell in love with it....which gave me the idea of what I wanted to do for a theme. This cute little rocking chair was Dan's. His mom said he used to love rocking in it when he was little.
And last but not least...I figured I would add one more picture of one of Dan's favorite items in the room (it currently lives in the dresser)....Daphne's Saints shirt. He is ridiculously excited to have someone in the family that will watch football with him (although I doubt she will be paying any more attention than I do to sports since this will fit her when she is about 12 months old). But either way, I look forward to the two of them hanging out during games:)

4 comments:

Amber Shellabarger said...

Wow! The only thing I made while I was pregnant was a baby. You are one talented gal. I had Mirabel a week late so I feel your pain. Hope she comes soon. Good luck.

Berry Family said...

Love it! Looks amazing. I agree with ya, on all the furniture passed down. Love items that have stories behind them. So excited for her to come!

Whit said...

Her nursery us beautiful. Good job! Oh and I love love love the name

Kitty Deschanel said...

I love it (and I LOVE HER NAME!!!)
Gosh, maybe she is being born right this very second :)